Members of the ND Board of Trade recently visited the Willibald Distillery located just outside Ayr Ontario.
This new distillery currently focus on their own blend of Gin, however they expect to have whiskey available in about 3 years (Canadian whiskey must be aged 3 years).
Members saw the entire distilliation process including:
- starting with a mash of local grains (they expect to eventually grow their own grains on the home farm) they add yeast to convert the sugar in the grain to alcohol.
- The first distillation produces whiskey which is aged in oak casks for at least 3 years.
- The second distillation produces tasteless, odourless vodka.
- The third distillation produces gin. During this stage juniper berries and other spices are added to the vodka prior to the third distillation. During the actual distillation the steam produced is passed through additional spices for further flavouring.
- Willibald then ages their gin for 6 months, producing a gin with a distinct amber colour.
If you’d like to see this local business in person, they are having an end of summer food truck and cocktail event from noon until 5pm on September 30, 2017. Full details available on their website.
no images were found